The adoption of the citizenship of Ukraine
According to article 9 of the law of Ukraine “On citizenship of Ukraine”, the foreigner or the person without citizenship can be taken on their application for citizenship of Ukraine. Conditions for granting citizenship of Ukraine are (simultaneous execution)*:
- recognition and observance of the Constitution of Ukraine and laws of Ukraine;
- Declaration on absence of foreign citizenship (for stateless persons) or the obligation to terminate foreign citizenship (for foreigners);
- continuous residence on legal grounds on the territory of Ukraine during the last five years;
- obtaining permission to immigrate;
- knowledge of the state language or its understanding in volume, sufficient for communication;
- the availability of legitimate livelihoods.
*- there are exceptions, see article “On citizenship of Ukraine”
The date of acquisition of the citizenship of Ukraine in cases stipulated by this article is the date of publication of the relevant Decree of the President Ukraine.