What is a permanent residence permit?
Permanent residence permit (LRW) is a document that certifies the identity of a foreign citizen or stateless person and confirms his receipt of a permit for permanent residence on the territory of Ukraine. This residence permit does not have a deadline. Reaching 25 and 45 years of age can be exchanged. A permanent residence permit in Ukraine allows an alien to reside in Ukraine without additional permits and travel outside the country.
The main advantages of applying for a Permanent Residence Permit in Ukraine:
- to work in Ukraine does not require a work permit;
- upon receipt of a Permanent Residence Permit, a foreigner has the full right to use tax benefits provided for by the legislation of Ukraine;
- the possibility of real estate transactions and banking operations;
- the presence of such a so called residence in Ukraine gives a foreigner the right to enjoy all the rights that Ukrainian citizens also have a big “plus” is that they retain their citizenship;
- the period of stay on the territory of Ukraine is not limited (the duration of stay on the territory of our country is not limited to the terms of short-term stay on its territory (90 days out of 180 from the date of first entry);
- the number of visits to Ukraine is not limited (you can freely come and go as you want).
To get a permanent residence permit in Ukraine (certificate) you need to go through 2 stages of its registration:
Obtaining permission to immigrate to Ukraine
Immigration is the arrival in Ukraine of foreigners and stateless persons for permanent residence. An immigration permit is a decision of a specially authorized executive body on immigration and its subordinate bodies, which grant foreigners and stateless persons the right to immigration and permanent residence in Ukraine. An immigration permit can be obtained for categories of foreigners within the immigration quota established by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, or outside the immigration quota. Immigration quota – the permissible number of foreigners and stateless persons who are allowed to immigrate to Ukraine during the year.
The following categories of foreigners can obtain permission to immigrate within the immigration quota:
- highly qualified specialists and workers, the urgent need of which is tangible for the Ukrainian economy;
- persons who made a foreign investment in the economy of Ukraine with foreign convertible currency in the amount of at least 100 (one hundred) thousand US dollars registered in the procedure;
- persons who are a full brother or sister, grandfather or grandmother, grandson or granddaughter of citizens of Ukraine;
- persons who were previously citizens of Ukraine;
- persons who have continuously lived in Ukraine for three years from the date of granting them refugee status in Ukraine or asylum in Ukraine, as well as their parents, husband (wife) and minor children who live with them;
- workers of science and culture whose immigration is in the interests of Ukraine;
- parents, husband (wife) of the immigrant and his minor children;
- persons who served in the Armed Forces of Ukraine for three or more years.
Foreigners may obtain permission to immigrate outside the immigration quota:
- persons entitled to acquire Ukrainian citizenship by territorial origin;
- persons who are the guardians or trustees of citizens of Ukraine, or are in the care or under guardianship of citizens of Ukraine;
- persons whose immigration is of national interest to Ukraine;
- one of the spouses, if the second of the spouses with whom he has been married for more than two years is a citizen of Ukraine, children or parents of citizens of Ukraine;
- foreign Ukrainians, families of foreign Ukrainians, their children in case of their general entry and stay on the territory of Ukraine.
Obtaining the residence permit itself (certificate)
After obtaining permission to immigrate, you need to contact the department of the Migration Service for the place of registration for a permanent residence permit (certificate).
The alien must submit the following documents:
- notarized translation of a passport into Ukrainian;
- receipts for payment of state duty and services of the migration service;
- 4 photos (3.5 to 4.5 matte, 80% of the face).
After submitting the necessary documents, the materials are transferred for printing a permanent residence permit in the form of a booklet (certificate). When a foreigner receives a permanent residence permit, he must register his place of residence for 30 days.
Permanent residence in Ukraine gives the following rights:
- live in Ukraine without time limits;
- visit the country without limits on the number of visits;
- for employment without permission;
- obtaining a visa in Ukraine for a trip abroad;
- the right to import a car without customs clearance (one-time, upon registration).